Sunday 16 June 2013

A Weekend of Falling in Love, Again

The sun shone this entire weekend in Geneva which makes me happy to say that we have finally turned the corner into beautiful, hot summer weather. On Saturday, a new (intern) friend and I went to see the Geneva Sailboat Regatta, but were a bit late heading out the door and ended up by Baby-Plage instead, enjoying the sun and watching some young kids really kill it water skiing on the lake. Seeing everyone out in bathing suits and summer dresses made me incredibly happy- finally, some summer weather! My friend, who is from Nigeria and has lived in Rome the past five years, found my enthusiasm about the heat rather amusing. I suppose that’s what happens when you live in a climate where you get only two, maybe three months of summer heat every year. Your excitement when you can finally wear that new sundress you bought at the end of last season, so many months before, becomes a bit overwhelming. And having spent the last three weeks in rainy, cold Geneva weather, I had lost the energy and excitement that comes from living in a new place for a summer. But this weekend, amid the sand and sweat and sun, I found it once again and fell in love with the city all over again.
Carousel by the lake, and so many people enjoying the sun!
Today I went for a run, mid-day, in the wonderful, sunny, heat. The heat doesn’t make for an easy run, but it definitely makes for a rewarding one, and I’ve always preferred running in the heat to running in the cold (sorry Canadian winters, but you just don't cut it for good runs). Over the years I’ve fallen in and out of love with running too many times to count, but running along Lac Leman today reminded me of all the reasons I love to run. I even enjoyed the hill at the ¾ mark of my run, though painful and sweaty, because I’ve always felt it is in the most uncomfortable moments on runs by myself that I am reminded of my own independence and power.

What will you fall in love with this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment