Tuesday 25 June 2013

A New Perspective

I've had diabetes for 10 1/2 years and have kept up with d-blogs and diabetic literature, and never have I come across an individual who views their diabetes in such a way as Sean Busby, founder of Riding on Insulin and Olympian in training. In this article, Sean describes his relationship with his diabetes:

"I try to think of my diabetes as a best friend, meaning that until a cure is found my diabetes is always going to be there—just like a best friend.  Sure we may have occasional arguments (just like you do with any friend) but no matter where I go, my diabetes is going to keep on sticking to my side.  If I choose to be friendly back, then we will get along much better and I will be able to do whatever I want to do."

I've certainly never thought of my diabetes as a friend, let alone a best friend, and I am not sure I'll ever be able to have that sort of attitude towards it, but I certainly appreciated the sentiment. I've spent the entire 10 1/2 years that I've had diabetes thinking about it as the enemy, as something that has happened to me but not as something that is me, and my is it refreshing to see it portrayed in such a constructive light. 

Diabetic or not, I think everyone can learn from Sean's attitude: if there's something about your life or yourself that you resent or dislike, how liberating is it to make it your own, and to view it in a positive way?    

No comments:

Post a Comment